Friday 26 June 2009

Why oh Why???

Didn't I take my camera to the yard today...it was monumental!

We pootled on in from the field and had a wander up to Dawn's horsebox again, no hesitation this time and Bailarina just walked herself right on up to it! I stood to the side and let her have a good sniff in her own time, one more step and she'd have been on it...all without any prompting from me. A bit too early for that just yet though - Lots of clicks and treats were had for her sterling and very brave effort!!!

As we arrived in the yard one of the regular yard farriers arrived too, so we stood and watched him work (good standing around practise..we like a bit of that) He took one look and said "Lusitano?" (Blimey!! thinks I) then "really nice sort, well put together" Another member of the Bally fan club then lol! He's not quite patient enough for my liking so I wouldn't use him, specially not on a youngster (even if he does like like Little B ;-) )

Into our yard and I tied Bally up, did her tootsies, then fetched my work bridle...and my roller.....

Bridle on, lots more chewing, she has this habit of sort of flipping the bit over in her mouth so it twists the cheek pieces...didn't matter how many times I turned it back...it's odd because it means she prefers holding it with the curve of the bit going the wrong way..funny girl!

Whilst she stood having a good old chew I popped the roller polypad on...no reaction, let her have a good sniff at the roller...all fine, popped it over her back...nowt, flapped it around her sides...couldn't have cared less, reached under and slowly did the first buckle....absolutely no reaction whatsoever, and did the second strap....and then tightened it......Bailarina just turned and looked at me then carried on flipping and chewing her bit !!! Each step was clicked and treated..what a fabulous start!

I took her down to the school (all kitted out!), she had a bit of a blip going through the gate - I want her calm steady and in walk, Little B walked til she was level with the gate then had a bit of a scoot and a trot through, so back we went the other way in walk, clicked and treated. Turned her to walk back into the school and she trotted again! So we repeated and broke it down into single walk steps coming in this time, which worked well.

Today I walked her round in hand one circuit each way, and although she was wary at the caravan end, she stayed forward and walking, just a little tenser than I would have liked.

Then for the first time I let her off to loose school....whoohoo and off she went!. The idea is that as she trots I say trot, if she walks I say walk etc so that she starts to pick up the voice commands under no pressure.
She looked spectacular as she trotted, cantered, span and hoolied around for five minutes...why didn't I bring the bloody camera argh!!!!

Only one minor eek moment - the polypad started to slip out from under the roller, a couple of wonderfully balanced and extremely athletic whoopee bucks saw it sent flying......whoops!

Once she'd settled down and it wasn't all quite so exciting I wandered around and let her follow me into the corners, then nice and calmly popped her lead rope back on and finished off with another circuit in hand each way - she did go to have another whoopee, but a firm no and a check brought her straight back, bless her she really does try so hard!

And then.....as there was one in the school......to finish off the session we walked over a coloured pole!

She had a little sniff as we approached it but as I walked over it she just followed, no change in tempo, no skittishness, just walked over it as if she'd been doing it all her life - most horses at least have a bit of a leap the first time - I'm astonished at what she will take in her stride - Superstar!!!! I like to use poles for mazes, fans etc to get ponies using their backs and abs better, and to think about what they are doing with their legs also makes schooling a lot more interesting, so unless it was a total fluke, she's going to be really good at that play / work stuff.

So what a brilliant day - we walked back down the yard and I gave her a lovely grooming and scratch and a little handful of nuts so she knew she'd done really well, then we wandered back down to the field and had a ten minute chill out together as she grazed around me whilst I sat and just reflected on just how clever she's been x

We'll have another day off tomorrow to let her relax in mind and body after taking so much in today :-)

3 comments:

  1. so you said "buck" "hoolie" "spin" as well? ROFL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol I think I went slightly quiet and contemplated a life training dogs instead....I do recall the words "steady" and "OMG" leaving my mouth during the bucking though PMSL
    In all honesty she's so like Safi in that when she yeehaa'd it's all still done with amazing balance and poise and with Safi not hard to sit to at all (you can remind me of this in a year's time ;-))

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an excellent day! I'm a big fan of standing around practice myself, it does wonders for nervous or fretful horses (I have several of those!). I'm enjoying reading about your thoughtful work with your horse.

    ReplyDelete