Saturday 13 June 2009

Just about ready

Finally finished her stable today!!

It's all scrubbed, painted, fixed up, de cobwebbed, the bed is down and her hoof bucket and water bucket are in ready and waiting....

Gave the whole yard a tidy up in the end, It's got a bit scruffy looking since I left...nobody else seems to have stable OCD like me lol! I can see I'll be having words if people don't smarten up their acts..and the walkway whilst they're at it.

Bit of a bittersweet day at home, I finally got it together enough to sort out, clean and put away all Safi's tack. I'd been dreading it, but I don't know...today I was able to handle it and think about good times. Her Portuguese bridle needed a bit of TLC, so that's been thoroughly scrubbed, had half a pot of Ko-Cho-Line rubbed in and it's now fermenting in the airing cupboard in a black bag - it'll be a smooth as silk when it's cooked.

I'm pretty confident that one of Safi's bridles will fit..(ahem four to choose from..blush) and My bit collection numbers 16, so I'm sure I'll have at least one to suit Bailarina lol!
I know it's miles off before I even consider backing her but thank goodness I now have the Fhoenix along with a good range of pads and shims, so no worries about building up a saddle collection as she grows...Safi had FIVE at one point!! Mind you her best was having one fitted that she outgrew in three months ....oops

I've got every other bit of kit imaginable already for lunging, long reining and in hand work. Boots and bandages of every description and for all purposes...see my "never ever throw anything away" habit does come in useful and it means my poor Hubstar won't need to be ever so slightly tetchy at me buying even more horse stuff, because I have a tack room full that'll do just nicely lol!

Just spent a lovely hour out in the paddock with Safi - she liked my pint of Robinsons Apple and Pear Fruit & Barley squash very much, not as much as her sugarbeet / danilon tea I have to say...blummin good job she likes it though, I've just upped the dose to four a day in the hope I can reduce it down again and still give her some relief...poor pony :-(
Aunty Louise is going to come and give her a couple of Bowen treatments to see if she can make her back a little more comfortable, obviously nothing she can do for the Ringbone, but that's what the extra Danilon is hopefully going to ease.

It's a bit of an odd feeling now that the decision about what to do as the treatment has failed has been forced on me - once I heard the options available it wasn't that hard to make. No more stress, no more operations, no more Rossdales, no more getting our hopes up about a miracle cure just for her to break again. No... just a peaceful summer off her face on Danilon and then a quiet dignified end and she's free of the pain forever.
It's funny really, I thought people would be telling me to keep trying, but no-one, not one person in RL or on the net has said to put her through another op, they've all said enough is enough..stop torturing myself and stressing her and just let her be
Making the decision was surprisingly easy - Living with it isn't and when it comes down to it I really, really don't know how I'm going to cope. She's been such a huge part of my life for so long - she really is my baby, but I have to have the strength to give her the right to an end to the pain

Oh bugger I'm bawling again :`-(

1 comment:

  1. two things

    firstly ... what's a hoof bucket for? you lost me with that one!


    secondly ... of course you can live with that decision, because it's the right decision. you would not have been able to live with the wrong decision (i hope you see what i mean with that!).

    ReplyDelete