Wednesday 17 June 2009

Baby Steps

Decided that Little MissB could brave the walk back from the field to the stable tonight and bearing in mind the issue of the gateway we had going in I popped a pressure halter on for safety.

She is very, very good with it, if she stops it just takes a tiny tweak to ask for forwards again and she readily gave it to me. Bless her she got a little bit sticky as we got within 10 feet of the gateway and pulled back to run, but I just held on, looked away and remained absolutely solid and calm. She stopped, had a think about it and gave me a couple of steps of forward..good girl!!! Lots of praise, another couple of steps and she went to go backwards again..a little more half hearted about it though. I just repeated the solid holding stance and within a second she moved herself back into our comfort zone and then followed me right to the entrance!! Cue a massive scratch and lots of praise for being such a brave little girl :-)

I was quite surprised and very pleased that she stood like a lamb as I undid the handles and asked her to walk through and stop when I did. She's very good at following body language / signals and I've figured that the key to creating a good bond with her is building and keeping her trust by being absolutely consistent in keeping myself totally calm, non reactive and positive.

She happily looked to me for reassurance along the path and even when she had a little wibble as she passed a very squeaky drainpipe she dithered and came towards me rather than turn tail.

Round we went past the parked double decker bus without a flicker of an ear and she strode down the yard as if she owned it. We stopped to have a chat (aka cooing over just how lovely she is!!!) to Connie, Di, Michelle and Suzanne and Little B was very good - a bit fidgety but as soon as I signalled her to take a step back square if she walked forward she did without hesitation.

One thing I'll be working on when she's settled is the "ground tying" where a dropped rope means stop and don't move from the where the rope falls...very very useful. Safi was always an absolute superstar at it. Bailarina is so intelligent I don't think it'll take her long to pick up anything!!

Off into the stable which was quite a big ask as she hadn't been in her own yard before, but again she happily marched in beside me. She was a little nervous as I closed the door, but we just had a good groom and scratch of her itchy spots to make it a good experience. I had to laugh, she might a while to get used to Hemcore bedding...she walked up to her bed and gave a great big snort....blowing it right back in her face - oops!

Time to head back down to the field and I was *delighted* (hahaha) to see a rather large articulated lorry parked in the main yard...well blow me down Little B didn't even look at it, what a superstar!!!
We practised inhand transitions down the path and again she proved what a good girl she is..ear cocked on me she followed my movement and walked, trotted and halted with no other cues. I LOVE her trot, such poise and elevation it takes my breath away.

Into the field again and she had a teeny wibble moving right into my space as we reached the gate but she moved straight back when asked and walked through the gate calm as you like, stood like a lamb as I fastened it and was an angel as I turned her away.

The plan is to bring her in each evening now and take each day as it comes, taking little steps to teach or introduce something new without pushing her out of her comfort zone...watch this space!

6 comments:

  1. more pics?

    i never worked out groung tying ....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Safi taught me humility and respect, Bailarina will teach me patience....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Re Ground tying..very handy if you drop a rope or they get away, with Safi if the rope touched her legs she would stop dead rather than panic..and when your as ham fisted as me that helps lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooo great a Bailarina blog! (Has she got a shorter nickname?) She's a big girl for her age isn't she? Fab photos. Absolutely stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Little B, Bally, Princess...think Madam might end up being used at some point lol!!!

    ReplyDelete