Tuesday 23 June 2009

Seeing the sights...

Little Bailarina just gets better every day :-) (you'll all get bored of me singing her praises soon) I can't believe I have so much to write about, but she just continues to surprise me. Pauline you have done such a fantastic job in bringing her up, she's so bright and enthusiastic about everything...a bit shy of things to start with but..well honestly...I am giving her loads to think about!! - She is just so lovely to be around

We went a wandering again - just around the back of the fields so a ten minute walk...to visit the scary Haylage bales and she didn't even hesitate tonight..in fact she marched up to the first one and started trying to lick it!! I had to pull her away lol!
Had a little inhand trot, but it was very hot so neither of us us was feeling particularly energetic or enthusiastic about having a run.

I brought her in to the yard with the intention of popping her in her stable for a groom but on the way I spotted Dawn's horsebox out...with the ramp down.(Dawn is our Yard Owner)
So as Little B was being such a brave girl we walked towards it..and then walked right towards it - yes she was doing it again...... totally exceeding my expectations! I used the clicker at this point with a click, click / treat for steps in the right direction and as we were about four feet away she stopped. I just asked for another forward step and she walked right up and sniffed the ramp - Jackpot!!!!! Massive scratches and a couple of bits of apple as we stood there nice and calmly. Then I asked her to step back and we walked away - We might have a play with Bessie my little Horsebus this coming weekend..I don't want any pressure on her, I want her to trust that she can get on the box and it won't be a bad experience..we'll get there!

On the way back to the stable I thought she could be introduced to the washbox, normal stable..but bare, big swing arm on the wall with a hose attached and hanging down..possibly scary...um nope. She walked straight in with me, I gave her a loose lead and she walked around, sniffed and had a nibble on a haynet left in there - all good!

Off into our barn and her stable -and it's quite funny, left loose she's still a bit tense in there, fidgety and unsettled...but if I tie her up she settles straight away - funny girl! We had a good groom and a hoof picking session and then walked back down to the field after another hard afternoons work.
I sat in the grass with her and she grazed around me, nibbled my toes and ruffled my hair for me - a nice end to a great bonding session :-)

2 comments:

  1. now you just watch in the washbox when you're trying to wash her... bet it'll be a whole other ball game!

    i am as impressed as you, considering she came form the wilds of up north...

    but she'd probably seen farm machinery up there passing, if not close up...

    was it north yorkshire? i'd thought it looked like up this way when you first posted the first pics, and then when you said A1 that clinched it....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet it will Claire - although I'm waving the hose around and spraying water near her in the field when I fill the tubs...no interest so far. If it's really hot today I might take her in there again and see if a cool down is on the cards....

    Not Yorkshire Lol! Up near Macclesfield, the A1 was on the very first bit of our journey

    ReplyDelete