Sunday 7 February 2010

Back to Basics

So, a little earlier than planned, but pleased to say that I've started gently working with Bally again.

Of course even during daily handling we are always learning (about manners and more importantly each other) but this is "work" with purpose and goals.

I've been reading an awful lot during the break and mulling things over - mainly about me, how I approach things, how the way I'm feeling, how I react and what I want from a session can make or break it. Generally I don't think I'm too far from where I want to be ....and more importantly Bally needs me to be - I think we have each other fairly well sussed now. But It's absolutely vital that I keep myself grounded, calm and clear in my vision every single session. And if I'm not then don't even start one. There is no race, no time limit and there is always another day.

For all her perceived bravado Bailarina is incredibly sensitive and in the new herd has a position of responsibility which doesn't always sit easy with her. It's an incredible feeling to realise that she looks to me to guide her - most humbling to have that trust and scary as hell to have the responsibility myself!

Anyway enough waffling about esoterics!

First lesson on Friday was just a re-introduction to her working tack. Bridle, rope halter or lunge cavesson a long line, in hand reins, pad and roller. All put on, played with and taken off without a hint of anxiousness. Settling with the bridle, cavesson, pad and roller I asked her on to a 12m circle around me at walk, being very mindful of keeping her attention, and keeping her from dropping her right shoulder and falling in (discovering my timing is pants in the process and needs sharpening up big time!!)

I popped in a couple of halt / walk transitions and asked for a gentle upwards transition to trot and back down after a couple of strides.
We had to work on the halt transition on the right rein as B appeared to have forgotten how to stop on a whistle (despite being foot perfect on her left rein lol!)

I wanted to move onto a very short close in-hand session, and started straight from a direct contact on the rein / bit as she was completely amenable to me asking for a small relax and flex directly (last year we finished with it being fingers on headcollar and bit)

She was super, steady in my hand with no head tossing. She stretched out and down when asked as a reward, Halted on the button, reinbacked as soon as I changed my weight and walked off smartly on command. We literally did two circuits of the corral with a circle on each rein and stopped as she'd been such a good girl!

Back to the barn and she stood (with only one attempt to wander) loose as I untacked her, so she remembers the ground tying...actually the fact that I do her feet and rug loose in the field already means she should have this task perfect!

I'm going to update a little later on today's sessions...both of them ;-)

It's great to be back!!

2 comments:

  1. Nice that all your prior work is paying off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to hear! Slow and steady wins the race :)

    ReplyDelete