Thursday 18 February 2010

A little lunging

In hand and lunging session last night...in the field (I obviously haven't learnt my lesson yet)

Tacked Bally up in the field rather than drag her through the muddy gateway - totally fine with her bridle - she was standing completely loose so could have left at any point in the proceedings

I worked from reins on her portuguese cavesson and she was fabby - flexing, soft and very much with me. I was really pleased with this. We even had a little play at leg yield both on a circle and straight and she had a lovely try. I only asked for a few steps then clicked and treated but I'm sure we can build this up!
On to the lunging and It was just a short session to re-establish working on a line in the field with her calm, steady and listening. Well she didn't put a hoof wrong !!!! All her transitions were soft and she had a lovely forwards seeking the contact frame. We could have done with a touch more energy to get her to actually work herself, but for this session I was keeping everything quite deliberately steady.

I popped some running reins on for a couple of circuits each way just so she could feel the weight of the rein on her mouth and again she was quiet and accepting, mouthing gently as she got the feel on her mouth, but no hint of panic or soreness..yay!!

What did make me chuckle was the fact that Little Dee obviously felt she was missing out on all the fun, so she wandered over to us then tucked herself in behind Bally and followed her around the circle
Then she came over to the middle to say hello so I sent her out and she just followed B round again...if she keeps this up she'll be ready made at three! :-)

All done - I was really pleased with how well the session had gone so untacked B and gave the girls their evening feed. Once they were done I opened the gate and went to lead them out well the BB charged through the gate into the corral and set about winding Bally & Dee up to the point I had three of them galloping about, making great divots and skids in the grass, refusing to be herded out the gate ARGH!!
Eventually got both my girls out (they were actually quite meek about it once I caught them) but that Bloody Buckskin refused point blank to let me near and kept up a wall of death gallop around and around. I resorted to propping the gate open and waving a longline and cracking my lungewhip at her in the end :-o
Not my favourite pony at the moment!!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good session apart from the BB, what a naughty pony!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do feel desperately sorry for the BB in all honesty, imported from Germany at huge expense as a top dressage pony, pampered and micromanaged to within an inch of her life and now retired to pasture aged 5 with our motley crew in deepest darkest Essex. She gets no attention whatsoever unless it's from me :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. "What did make me chuckle was the fact that Little Dee obviously felt she was missing out on all the fun, so she wandered over to us then tucked herself in behind Bally and followed her around the circle
    Then she came over to the middle to say hello so I sent her out and she just followed B round again...if she keeps this up she'll be ready made at three! :-)"

    ROFL.

    shame you didn't have a video on that !

    ReplyDelete