Tuesday 9 February 2010

And what comes after pride....

A bloody crashing great fall.

As I said on FB I'm not sure what's broken the most, my confidence, Bally's trust in me, my thumb, my groin or my bloody Bvlgari glasses, but all are dented in a major fashion.

So what happened today? To be honest I'm not sure why it all went so catastrophically wrong today, over confidence, bad timing, no planning and poor judgement I guess.

Anyway I decided to re-introduce a little long lining for Bally and brought her in - she was a touch spooky, jumped and pulled back when she caught sight of her gear hung over the barn post (helloooooo clue number 1!!!)
I moved her feet to the side and asked for forwards and she walked in no problem, tucked into a haynet whilst I brushed and tacked her up. I did a bit of inhand work with her and she was fine, then proceeded to lead then long line her around the corral and as it was going so well thought she could do 10 minutes around the edge of the field (Yes in a field with 5 other loose horses *rolleyes* )
We started off fine Bally was nicely forwards and watching for my rein and body cues to keep her on track, I was feeling quite chuffed we pootled along. I asked for some halt transitions and she was quite antsy and a bit head tossy, not halting from my voice at all, so I brought her onto a circle, made it smaller and halted her off the head collar then asked for some backwards steps

All good again and on we went, a bit of a moment when the buckskin filly came screaming up the field, bucking and whinnying. I just halted B after a bit of a tap dance from her being a bit dithery and once filly cleared off, asked B to walk on.

Now as I was longlining from my lunge lines I had them dragging out behind me and what I'm pretty sure happened was that Buckskin filly had wheeled round, caught sight of the lines and started following...then trod hard on one and caught it...Bally still moving forwards got socked in the mouth and exploded!
She jumped and rammed her head down, pulling me off balance, then in a split second leapt, kicked out and span back towards me. She hit me as I was trying to get out of the way and the pair of us got tangled in the lines. I'd hit the dirt by this point shoulder first then got pulled onto my back as my right hand and I think my leg too was caught in the line so I got pulled. Completely tangled up - she'd even got one of the lines in her mouth :'-( Bally had tumbled over too and as I tried to get up she was flailing around on her back. I admit screaming and bursting into tears at this point.
I managed to scramble up and got over to her as she managed to find her feet and get up. The pair of us were shaking from head to foot. Bless her Bally stood stock still as I felt over her legs and untangled and completely untacked her where we stood. Thankfully she just seemed shaken, no rope burns from the line. I'm sure she'll be sore tomorrow (I'll pop her a Danilon in her breakfast) and I hate to think how long it'll be before she'll happily accept a bit again.
So there we go what a, excuse my language, fecking disaster.

After several Ibuprofen, wine, a hot bath and comfort food courtesy of my lovely husband, I'm sporting a wrenched shoulder and groin and a very bruised right hand and swollen thumb...oh and a completely snapped pair of glasses

Serves me right for my stupidity.

3 comments:

  1. I've said it all on FB and EE,it'll all work out ok - hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Horses are very forgiving - I doubt that she blames you for what happened. We've all had disasters of equal magnitude from time to time. Just go back and start over, and it'll be fine shortly, if it isn't fine right from the start. (And don't forget to forgive yourself, too, while you're at it!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i had a disaster on the lines a few years ago, molly ended up jumping back into the field, cutting her leg on wire, cutting her mouth with the bit, standing on and breaking a line, all the latter whilst flying round said field at full pelt chased by the other mares...but i guess I stayed upright!

    scary!

    i guess you're right about the filly standing on it.. practice the art of keeping them rolled up in the hand.. and lots of arnica and wine

    ( tried to catch up yesterday but blogger was on a go slow..)

    ReplyDelete