Monday 25 January 2010

Being Big Sister!

The girls were due for their trim and unfortunately Ellie could only do them on Sunday...issue is that the Footy ground in the corner of the field is invaded by hordes of screaming children and rowdy parents...will be great for crowd training, but not great for bringing Dee in for her first trim with me...and I think even Bally might have had an issue being in the corral right next to the mob.

We decided to do them out in the field, but as I was bringing the girls down to the gate B bit D on the bum, who then walloped into me, so B kicked out at D....who proceeded to completely flatten me this time. Reader I tried to hold on to the two upset gallivanting Luso's but at risk of actually having my arms dislocated I did let go of one and ended up with a very prancy Dee dancing around me whilst I'm flat on my arse in front of a crowd of people. (repeat to self I Love Horses..Hmph)
Order was restored as I managed to tow Dee back up the field as a slightly shamefaced Bally made her way back down towards me.
Did Bally's feet first and pleased to report she was an absolute Angel. Foot perfect and the couple of months off work hasn't caused any issues with an excess of flaring. Still a little patch of separation on her right fore, but it's a small stone that's been trapped not an infection, so it'll tighten up itself. It was funny, we just expected her to behave because she's the eldest and suddenly she does!
Dee...well all that practise picking up and holding up her feet counted for precisely zero, because she took exception to being asked by Ellie. I could make my kiss noise and touch her leg and up her foot came.. but she kept refusing to do it for her! Persistance and patience paid off, even with a couple of rears, one body slam into me (I'm thinking of investing in body armour) and one cow kick at Ellie as she gave her left hind back we got all four feet trimmed both in hand and on the stand and given back when Ellie decided not Dee.
I had been hoping she'd behave impeccably but as she's been antsy being handled by both the vets first time when she feels pressured, it was no great surprise. It was important to get the job done, but safely and with as little stress and as much praise as possible which we achieved in the end.



What did make me laugh was the fact that Bally stayed around us and on the couple of occasions when Dee was "naughty" Bally snaked in and threatened her - she was looking out for me and putting Dee in her place! Suddenly she's the grown up mature one!!

Ellie said in her opinion Dee's Carpal valgus was very mild and the deviation in her movement was minimal, certainly better that the other Luso she does and he's supposedly clean limbed. We just have to be very sharp to keep her lateral balance spot on to alleviate any twist as she places her forefeet. She did say that she thought she moved really nicely - very elegant and cadenced

So that's two trimmers and my own vet not being able to fathom why her legs are enough of an issue for Chris Harris to fail her...that along with Steph's assurances that if I buy her she will enter into a written agreement agreeing to buy her back and offer her a home for life if her legs mean she can't be ridden, well I haven't changed my mind just yet, but something tells me it might not be too long before a certain someones passport will be sent back for a change of ownership *whistles*

*Sensible head on* We'll see how this year pans out ;-)

Enough of all that - I decided for all our sakes to start the clicker work with Dee in earnest - she is completely food orientated and quick to learn so it will be a very useful tool for things like standing still / holding feet up and to re-introduce it to Bally as I want to use it in combination with her foray into ridden work.

Will report back on progress........

2 comments:

  1. just catching up here, sounds like a very eventful winter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A body-slamming foodie...that sounds like a certain someone up here!

    Whilst that sounds like a more eventful day than you'd hoped, Dee will grow in confidence with every new person to meet and handle her :) And it sounds like Bally has taken to her role as big cousin!

    ReplyDelete