Friday 26 February 2010

Reprise

As ever not happy with myself and my own performance affecting B's on the inhand work we had a reprise last night to see if I could find some progress.
I brought both the girls in, put B in her bridle and rope halter (...never mentioned that she has completely outgrown the headcollar she came down to me in, proper grown up girlie now!) And left Dee in the corral with a pile of hay. As Bally and I ventured out into the field Dee came over to the gate once then happily went back to being enclosed on her own and ate her hay...now that's blummin progress!!

Gave B a few minutes circle work off the halter and then popped the reins onto the bit and tried again...Success!!
Not sure whether my attitude and feel were better or Bally was more accepting - probably a mixture, but things were much improved!! Although she was very mouthy to the contact it was a soft mouthing with a steady head and neck and I was easily able to direct her shoulders because everything was soft and flowing.
She was able to keep this feeling for a few minutes at a time, so got plenty of reward and praise. I found that standing further back than I had been seemed to help her and it was much easier to get a soft flexion of her neck. Must revisit my video of the session with Becky to check back what she was doing and compare positioning.
We even managed to get some really good slow sideways steps on each rein too *yay*

Let B have a good stretch out and then lengthened the reins and asked for two small circles on each rein with a fluid change of bend at a semi longlining distance...and got them as well!!!!

Stopped there as I was really pleased and I could see Bally was chuffed with herself too

2 comments: