Thursday 11 February 2010

More Highs and Lows

I checked Bally thoroughly yesterday morning, she wouldn't come over to me and my heart sank, but she let me approach her and pop her headcollar on, then led in nicely and tucked into her breakfast whilst I looked her over and she was fine, thank goodness!

I know everyone will think I am completely mad, but last night when I went up I put on her rope halter and a lunge line and walked her out to the spot in the field where we'd had the accident and asked her to work with me

She was very tense, not helped by Dee and the bloody buckskin (as it will henceforth be known) charging about bucking and kicking and generally looning around. But I felt it was crucial to have some attentive, quiet compliance out there. To know that I can get and hold her attention with distractions around, get her to listen and to remain or become calm even when she's on high alert and ready to run.

We did it!!!!!

I just worked on some head lowering, asking her to back on a light aid, using the rope to yield her quarters and then asking her to walk on a circle...
I'll be honest it took quite a bit of doing - B was very tense and nervy to start, but by keeping my energy very low and keeping my focus on exactly what I wanted from her - keeping my asks very, very small and quiet...making sure everything was an ask not a pressure inducing demand we built up to it and after ten minutes work I was able to get her to walk, trot and halt with her relaxed and stretching and feeling like she was happily with me.

We then had a lovely loose lead wander back across to the corral where the others were and she had a groom and her tea. I was so pleased with her for trying so hard and beating her demons

It would have been a lovely end to the day ....But, well as this week seems determined to be as crappy as possible, I then proceeded to have a car accident on an icy road when I was going to take my Daughter and Granddaughter shopping. Lost control on a hill where several cars had already left the road - one badly wrapped around a tree, and went into the back of someone.

If I wasn't already suffering because of being trampled and dragged on Tuesday I am now. I'm aching all over and feeling very stiff and fed up!!

4 comments:

  1. Glad the horse work went well, but so sorry about the car accident! Hope you feed better soon - take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. well i reckon you did the right thing! and you'll be able to pick up from there..

    read about the car on FB .. sounds like a disaster waiting to happen that road .. more arnica, more wine..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you're feeling better, what a nasty scare you both have had.

    Hope you have a lovely weekend with both the girls x

    ReplyDelete