Tuesday 23 February 2010

D-Day

Sunday was a Dee day!

I led her in from the field through a couple of streams and a monster puddle - this little filly leads better than any other youngster I've ever known...although under pressure she can be as "get awaaaaaaaaay!!!!!!" as the best of them lol!
In to the corral and all good, no panic from her as she realised she was in on her own without Bally....well until Bally and BB had a squealing faceoff at the gate and both beggared off up the field at high speed a bucking and a farting all the way *sigh* She went to pull away, gave me a headshake and brought her forelegs off the ground when she met with firm resistance, to which I just verbally reprimanded her and backed her up, then asked her forwards....calm and good manners restored!

I wanted to do some very baby basic circle / start of distance work with a bit of desensitisation thrown in. We were staying in the corral for safety!

Started with basic leading and checking we had a good reaction to following my body language / vocal cue to make turns in and away, halting and backing. Then I just asked for the same work but about 5 ft away from her and she seemed to pick it up really well...until she had a big nap over towards the gate - we had a repeat of her earlier frustration when I stopped her and treated it the same way...and I moved her even further away from the gate lol!

We then moved on to standing still and increasing my distance away from her, it took a few goes for her to pick up what I wanted. Each move forwards was dealt with by me simply backing her straight back to where I'd put her...no commands, but a "good girl" only when she was stationary.

I then played with touching her all over with the line - she's already excellent at being touched all over now (far, far better with her poll and ears than she was yay!!), tolerates leg straps and is happy being brushed everywhere you can run a brush ;-) so we didn't have too much of an issue with this. Then I introduced the lunge whip....ooooh now that was scary!

I tied the lash up and first of all let her sniff it and moved it around in front and to the side of her - she was watchful, but not too concerned, so standing to the side I rested it on her back...

And wheeeeee off she went!

I just asked her to steady and stand and as soon as she did I lifted the whip, after a couple of repeats I was able to stroke the whip along her back and down her legs with her attention on it, but standing still. I repeated this from the other side and straight away she accepted me touching her with it.

I gave her a little break at this point and let her off the lead for a munch on her haynet.

Back to work and she happily let me touch her with the whip again and even stood as I stroked it up her neck. She ducked her head as I brought it over her ears (going by her reaction to being touched here initially I expected fireworks!) and as I just repeated it slowly and quietly she lowered her head and accepted it! Lots of praise and scratches for being such a good girl.
I upped the ante at this point and unfurled the lash and just had a play wiggling it about and draping it over Dee. She had a scoot twice, but again just waited until she stopped, praised and lifted the pressure.

I ended up being able to gently wave it about over our heads with no reaction...couldn't really ask for much more than that so called it a day!

At this stage I'll probably only do one work / play session a week with Dee. Mainly desensitisation stuff - making sure leading is absolutely 100% over, under and through things and have the odd wander up the lane. This is on top of being led in every day and having her feet / rugs etc done. Plenty enough for baby!

1 comment:

  1. You have such great timing and patience with these babies, and your blog is making me 'broody' for a second horse :p I will resist!

    ReplyDelete