Monday 6 July 2009

Ups and Downs

Had an interesting day yesterday with some really great stuff and some really not so great stuff.....

Started really well, I brought B in and we went straight to the horse box for our daily stand around - she marched up to the the ramp as usual and then spent a couple of minutes hammering the ramp with alternate front feet - the banging was getting a little too much so I asked her to move forwards and she did - both feet up on the ramp!! We stood like that for a little while and I gave her loads of scritchy scratches.
Unfortunately she then backed off - I specifically wanted the back up to come from me - So After a minute of just chilling I asked her to get on the ramp again, cue a couple more bangs and bingo she stepped on with both feet...and then actually moved her back feet towards the ramp as well!! lots more praise and scritches and I walked down past her and asked her to come off - her face was a picture..."er I thought you wanted me on the damn thing"

In to the stable and I thought we could go for a nice walk and if all went well try the long lining again. So all kitted up in her roller and bridle with halter over the top to attach the long lines to.
I changed her bit as well and popped my NS starter in to see if it was the straight bar of the baby bit she didn't like - she was still very mouthy in it but she actually seemed to settle quite well...although she wanted it quite high in her mouth...I'll monitor this closely.

Off we went just for a mooch around the perimeter of the livery fields and as she was marching foward from the word go I slipped in behind her and on we went. Once we were in the hay field I asked her to circle me in the long lines and again, she did a great job, just one circle each way and she was listening to my voice commands really well, clever girlie!!

So then off down the back track we went....All was going smoothly until something spooked her and quick as lightning she whipped round and flattened me!
I have no idea what it was but Little B was really upset, broke out in a sweat and was tense and quivering, She didn't want to walk on at all and went to whip round into me again - So I had to move damn sharpish and hang on as this time she was off in no uncertain terms. Luckily she stopped at the pressure from the halter!
We had a shaky five minutes whilst both of us calmed down and I asked her move around me and back up to get her listening and respecting my space again then I walked her back to the yard with me leading although she was still tense and very jumpy
Got back and I took her into her box to chill out - she's still a little wary in there so I just went and sat on the back of her bed and talked to her. She had a bit of a walk around and a jumpy snort, but then stopped and grabbed some hay, came over to me, walked off and repeated this a few times...then she finally came over sighed and snorted and then popped her head down for scritchy scratchies and a lovely cuddle...phew, all still well between us!!
After we'd had a nice mutual grooming session and I'd checked her legs to make sure the long lines hadn't caught her anywhere when she went doolally I took her straight back out to her field and she led just fine.

Checked her over this morning and she was spark out asleep when I got to the yard at silly O'clock.
Bally opened her eyes and rolled up onto her side as I approached so I sat with her and stroked and cuddled her until she flopped back down to continue her beauty sleep and she let me check her legs all over again..even stretched them out for me and wiggled her nose whilst I was doing it - I've never ever known a horse so comfortable around people!!

5 comments:

  1. She is a definate one off!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol About blummin time too Mrs!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those things happen - glad all turned out well! She does seem like a really nice horse - I like how comfortable she is with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. An unfortunate incident, glad it didn't escalate, it's so tricky with babies. As Kate said, these things do happen. On the upside she responded to you and you guys are still firm friends. Very impressive in the short time you've had her, what a fabbie nature! Hope you're none the worse for wear after being flattened :o

    ReplyDelete