Friday 31 July 2009

By Jove she's got it!!

Lunging that is, only baby steps still, but we clicked with it yesterday

I thought Bally could do with a spell in the school as it's been quite a while since her last session in there, so bridle and rope halter on with a single lunge line.....I prefer to double lunge / long line, but at this stage in the proceedings I think 1 line is safer - at least until they've got the idea of it....much less to get tangled up in or drop lol!!

Started as usual with a walk in hand around the perimeter of the school to familiarise her with it and then added a change of rein, all good
Then I changed my position and added a 10 metre circle once on each side as we went along. This is similar stuff to what we've done out in the field, but now in the constraints of the school..a little more precision required lol!

I then sent her out onto a bigger circle - a little stop start and not very circular, but she was getting the idea! Her trot was still a bit rushed but I think she was just unsure at the lack of direct contact.

After a circle or two she really got the idea and we had a nice steady trot on a circle with a great walk and halt transition.

On to her left rein and again a similar start, unsure and wibbly wobbly - more so on this rein so I shortened the line and went out to her to give her some support - better!!!
So I gradually increased the distance again and bingo! Let her have a couple of circles at a nice steady trot with lots of praise and asked her to slow...um nope...steady...a little...so I just repeated the waaaaaaallllk and brought my own energy level right down and it worked - Yay!
On to a good halt right on the button and we stopped for a big cuddle and loads of praise, what a good girl

And that was it end of session

Tonight I wasn't feeling too great, bad day generally :-( so definitely not a night to be working a baby, even such a good girl as little B. So she just came in for a brush and a little foot trim practice, a good brush and a feed, all good, bless!

2 comments:

  1. She sounds a smart girl! Sorry today wasn't good for you and hope all is better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kate, it would be good if life threw a few more ups my way, I'm getting a bit fed up of all the downs.

    Just wanted to say how much I've enjoyed reading your blog too :-)

    ReplyDelete