Wednesday 1 July 2009

Skool daze

I love the fact that Little B is coming right up to the gate every evening ready to come in and have a play!
She still likes to stop and have a think about things on the way in which is fine when there's a fair bit of stuff going on around her.
We did our usual wander up to the horsebox and I don't even have to lead her now, she's straight there, head down having a good snuffle up the ramp- she actually lifted her foot up against it tonight but then plonked it back down, it'll come, I'm not in a desperate rush... I want her to want to go up and I'll know when the time is right
I decided to work a little more on introducing the idea that I don't need to be next to her to direct things - making her start to work out what I want out from a distance, but still pay attention and watch me, so I took her into the school kitted up in her roller, bridle and rope halter and I brought along my long lunge whip so I could start to get her used to an aid being applied through that.
Quite a lot to ask tonight, so I tried to break it down into little steps for her - firstly with the whip.
We started just standing nice and relaxed as I held it to each side and then I placed it on her back - she wasn't sure about this and had a little dance and a wiggle. So I lifted it, halted and relaxed her then tried again - better! Still a little tense, with her ears going every which way but at least standing.
I then asked her to move her quarters using the whip as an extension of my arm so backing it up with a move towards her and she got this straight away on both sides - clever girl.

Then it was on to asking her to walk on, just in hand as we've already practised, but with me holding the whip in a "driving" position - to the side and ready to ask for forwards if needed which she managed really well - not phased by the aid and moving forwards nicely from a wave or a gentle touch on her quarters - obviously always backing this up with voice commands and body language as she has already learnt these.
This is so important - that she accepts the whip as an extension of me and not something to be scared of - and I think we made a great start with this.

On to me moving away from her but keeping a connection to start the idea of lunging and long reining, we had a couple of quite sticky moments with this with her deciding to pull away - naughty! I just held firm and moved myself behind her to push her forwards again which worked - we then had plenty forwards...maybe a leeetle bit too much lol as her little paddy set off Quest who was in the paddock next to the school so I had the pair of them going wheee for a couple of seconds

Brought her back to me and started again, just gradually distancing myself to the side by about 10 ft but keeping in time with her and it was much better second time around - we had a lovely soft calm walk in a circle and a straight line so finished the session there.

Gave her another nice hose down once we'd done - she's really getting the idea now and still likes to have the spray gun in her mouth and flap water all over me - can't say I mind too much ;-)

Day off tomorrow, she'll just come in for a groom and a cuddle :-)

1 comment:

  1. Nice post - I can see you working! She sounds lovely, and I like it that you're not in a hurry, but just move things along naturally in order. It's fun reading about your progress!

    ReplyDelete