Tuesday 28 July 2009

Bailarina is back in business

Poor little B had a bit of a raw deal over the last few weeks, I'd been in such a state there was no way I could work her, but she was, as always, generous with her hugs and snuffles as I spent time just sitting with her.

My friend Di did a sterling job of looking after her whilst I was away (am I allowed to be secretly chuffed that she wouldn't let Di approach to cuddle her when she was lying down and always got up...I feel honoured having had some lovely cuddles from her as she piggy snuffles in her sleep!!!)

I was a bit down when we got home from our lovely surprise holiday in Corfu - it was exactly what I'd needed and we had such an amazing time, being in a completely different setting so far removed from reality lulled me into a bit of a false sense of feeling OK....but as soon as we got home and I saw the empty paddock I was sunk...and opening the post to see the vet bill for Safi's euthanasia finished me off.....

But life does go on and I have the amazing Bailarina to keep my mind occupied now - Bless her little soft nose! We went straight down to the yard yesterday afternoon
and she whinnied and came over as soon as she spotted us which cheered me up no end :-) The fact that she hung around in the gateway as we went convinced me that someone was missing having things to occupy that bright as a button brain too!


So on to today and we were getting back to work with a vengeance. I brought her in for a good groom and noticed she had a bit of a split in her right front hoof that needed tidying before it grew and caused a problem, she was a little diamond and spent five minutes nuzzling me as I rasped it out.


Then it was bridle and rope halter on, roller done up and off for a workout!!

We went out down the path and practised our halt, walk on and backwards to voice and body cues she was a little reticent to start but soon clicked into concentration mode


Then it was into the big open field for an inhand / baby lunge session which I'm chuffed to say she remembered really well and was super!

At this stage all I want is her going freely forwards from my cues and (despite the fact she's in a wide open space) remembering that I'm on the end of the line and she needs to watch what I'm doing / asking for lol!

She gave me some lovely trot work, but alas we didn't get a really good shot on Gi's i-phone.

We did however get this one......now that's what I call an uphill canter depart yeeehaaaaaa!!!!!!

Great fun and a fab effort from Little B, she'd taken on board everything we'd done before the break in work and given me all I'd asked for and then some :-)

We finished our walk around the back of the fields and came into the yard from the back where there were some rather large puddles to negotiate..aha something new, I had no idea if she'd be brave about water.......I really should have known lol


It posed no problem whatsoever, except me discovering that I had leaky boots...yuk!

Off back to the yard for a brush down and a small feed, with lots of praise to let her know just what a superstar she'd been tonight.

Can't wait to see what tomorrow brings :-)

(ps...if you have eyesight like mine and you can't see the teeny pics I think you can click on them and make 'em bigger...works for me!!)

4 comments:

  1. good work by B! on all fronts.

    on the subject of teeny... can i ask a favour? larger typeface? Thankyou! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is indeed an uphill canter depart, go BabyB!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the canter depart! It's great that you have her to work with right now.

    ReplyDelete