Wednesday 30 September 2009

Out and about again

B came in today with two more splits in her front feet, she's growing the walls like mad and where we're growing out the bits of flare it doesn't take much to get a crack to form.. Ellie is out to trim her next week but I rasped the splits out tonight and tidied everything up - she's also exfoliating sole like mad leaving really nice concavity...lovely little hoofers!!

Popped B's long-lining tack on, plaited her up (so pretty!) and just in case of shenanigans with the lines put a set of sports boots on ;-)

Attached the lines and hitched them up - here's a pic of how I do it Claire, not sure if that makes it any clearer tbh?! Once I undo the tab through the ring it all shakes free in a second so not too much of a faff

Off out we went stopping off at the mounting block for a good standing still /stroking /leaning practise and she was brilliant, walked straight up, kept walking as I climbed the steps and stopped when I did, didn't move a step until I asked her to walk on. My friend Shirley had been sitting in her car watching and said how absolutely brilliantly she thought we were getting on and how gorgeous B was ..aww!

Off round the back where we had to stop and wait next to a parked car as a transit van with a smashed up car on a trailer came past...Bally didn't stress at all so looks like no harm done on Monday Yay!!!

As soon as we got onto the set aside I unhitched the lines and set off we had a lovely little session again working on transitions and just keeping her nice and forwards. We negotiated a couple of tricky corners OK so the steering is getting a bit better (it couldn't have got worse!) I tried to get a bit of video on my phone but it became apparent pretty quickly that I can't video , walk and long rein at the same time hahaha , but did get a sweet shot of her, shame it's a bit dark though.

Once we got back round to the hay field I asked her to trot on out across it, it's got such good springy grass cover it's about the only place we can whilst the ground is so shocking.
Well B didn't need asking twice and launched into power trot mode, cue me leaping along, laughing my head off as she then kicked up her heels and had a little canter, she was having a ball and I was laughing so much trying to keep up, great fun :-)
We only had the one sticky moment (and a little temper tantrum :-o ) as I wanted her to long line right to the end of the field and up the path...I've always led her this bit, but she knows it well so I figured it wasn't too much of an ask.
Well we had a bit of sideways leaping, some planting, head shaking, trotting off etc, etc, to which I'd just put her straight on a circle and make her work then ask for a walk on in the direction I wanted her to go in..got a few more foot stomping little paddy moments, but she did it!!

She went all the way up the path until we got to the fields with YO's horses in and I led her from there - what a good girl!
Had a lovely groom and a cuddle when we got back to the yard I think we were both as pleased as each other :-)
Bally led back out to the paddock like a lamb on a completely loose lead as I'm lugging the wheelbarrow full of hay bless her and followed me round whilst I poo picked getting scratches and cuddles....She's such a sweetie x

3 comments:

  1. Sounds an excellent outing - I wish I had a video of you leaping/laughing behind her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for that pic. so essentially, jsut roll em up as you would to put them away, but attach to a ring on the roller instead. shall have to see if i can find a quick loop to tie up with ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate if I couldn't take one in walk we had no hope at that point - I'm surprised I stayed upright I was laughing so much lol!
    Claire only difference is that I do the single over / through knot before looping them up to keep the length of rein between roller and her head shorter :-)

    ReplyDelete