Wednesday 2 September 2009

Down to Earth with a bump - literally

Well tonight started off really well - we were going to have a walk / longline session out down the stream bridleway.

I tacked Bally up in the field and she was brilliant stood nice and still as I faffed around, then once we were ready I led her out and just did my usual method of gradually letting her take the lead until I was long lining her from behind (off the headcollar)

She had a couple of leaping moments going up the field, one of which caught me, so she got growled at and using the outside rein and strong body language I moved her to the side away from my space. We carried on and as we went past the fertiliser pile she went to whip round, I just caught her in time and used one rein to ask her to flex back to the right with the other dropped to the side of her quarters to block, this set her off in leapy plungy daft as a bat mode. I just stood still and repeated a steady command until she stopped and walked forwards again.

We walked on all fine and dandy but then she did it again, this time as I corrected her she twisted away leapt into the ploughed field and got the long line down around her legs causing minor panic from me. I halted her and started to ask her to move back to step over the rein...and wallop, she jumped straight into me and flattened me again...twice in two days was more than I could take and I let her have it verbally with both barrels. I was, not to put too fine a point on it, bloody well fed up with her complete disregard for my space or safety, sore as she hit the same side she did yesterday and downright disappointed in her behaviour and my stupidity for being in the way...so I ranted and swore..quite a bit!

I backed her right away from me as I did it and then stood to one side to get my breath back and make sure I had calmed down enough to deal with the situation in case she went dotty again.
I tied the lines up and re attached her lead rope and spent a few minutes doing the forward, back halt and repeat until both of us were completely ok again. Then I led her for a few minutes until we got onto a long straight bit of path and with the faith that she did know what she was doing and the believe that she could and would manage this, let her off on the longlines again

Well I'm delighted to report back that we had a totally uneventful walk all the way along the path to the turn with a few halt and walk on practises thrown in. Stopped and she had a treat and we had a scratch and properly made up..no hard feelings! Then I got her to walk all the way back again.

We had one eek moment approaching a footbridge over the stream that she had to walk past, but I blocked her attempt to whip round and went and stood with her. Then I asked her to be brave and walk on - she had a good think about it, a minor wibble...but she started to walk on albeit tentatively. As she'd made a great effort I halted her and tying up the reins again, put the lead rein on and showing her that it was absolutely fine led her to the bridge so she could have a sniff and investigate.

I led her her the rest of the way back home along down the back of the fields - the farm lads were out on the wretched mini moto bikes screaming around, but as they came down the path they spotted us, stopped, waved and all turned round and went a different way - B was a bit tense as they approached, but stood still and just looked at them. They might be a bit roudy sometimes, but they're good lads when it comes down to it..thank goodness.

The rest of our walk passed uneventfully. I practised a little reprisal of yesterday's work close in hand asking for a little flex and a stretch down on both sides and Baliarina just did it perfectly. It was just how I'd hoped the whole walk would be, a nice wander around the fields, such a shame we had that altercation

BUT all in all although I hate the thought that I did lose my rag, it was necessary to get her to respect my space and get out of my face - sometimes she just doesn't seem to have any concept of personal space whatsoever and that's not funny!!
Thankfully there is no harm done to our relationship or working partnership and that is the important thing, she still trusts me and wants to work together...phew!

3 comments:

  1. i don't suppose she'll mind... she'll have "known" she deserved it! at least she didn't tank off/get line round legs/whatever else could have gone wrong (happened to me &molly on longlines once when trying to set out on a longlined hack!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Claire, I think they know when they've stepped too far! And swearing is by far the safest way to make your feelings known ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Horses, particularly young ones, don't know we have personal space until we teach them where our boundaries are. She'll get it - sorry you've been banged on twice now. I expect your swearing made an impression on her (which is good)!

    ReplyDelete