Tuesday 29 September 2009

The good, the bad and the downright infuriating!

Lots to report...bad me as usual for not taking the time to update, so this is a long one!

Had an interesting long reining session on Friday, we went off down the flitch and the aim was to do the slightly shortened version of the hack out we'd done with the other horses

As it turned out we had a very shortened version as Little Miss B had a proper full on waaaaaaaah moment along the bridleway through the ploughed field and we weren't going anywhere till I'd untangled her, me and calmed the pair of us down. It had all being going really well, she hadn't been hesitant till we got into this field and then she'd had a bit of a moment turning the corner into it (a bit of sideyways threatening to drop her shoulder and turn back)

Got her forwards again and then wallop, she full on dropped her shoulder and plunged off into the plough argh! I gave a strong hold to which she went up skywards and span, getting the reins around her front legs..cue much praying from me and lots of "steady" pleading...luckily she's not one to panic when she feels the lines and I managed to pull her up before she fell flat on her face.

Horrible moment...once again I'm glad we're still doing this on the rope halter!

Got us back on track and she excelled herself by carrying on up to the scarecrow, turning in the lane and coming back with no problems...until we got back into this bloody field again and she blew again!! This time I was better prepared and stopped her dead, calmed her down, hitched up the lines and led her through...no chance of a repeat performance!
I really have no idea what's setting her off but she wasn't happy - may have been something in the ditch???
At the weekend we had another box session accompanied by Gi. Again she was hesitant to get on, but walked up without too much in the way of persuasion with one step back off the ramp and she stood warily but happily as Gi shut the loading gate. We we stood on for a good ten minutes and had the gate opened and then shut again - no accompanying tap dancing at all which is great.
We'll repeat this a couple more times and if she remains calm enough I'll take the huge step of doing the ramp next!!

Last night we had a great session - I took her off down the lane, but much further than she's been before and in the opposite direction to normal. I just led her in hand with the reins hitched up. She was a little tense and hesitant, but this just meant she walked slowly and carefully with a watchful eye on everything around.
We were passed by a car from behind and B didn't give it a flicker of interest. 5 minutes later and I saw another car approaching at speed behind us - I waved him to slow down and he didn't - so I put my hand up to ask him to stop and the bugger just drove past us like he didn't even see us!!! (I'm in a big fluorescent jacket and Bally has a fluorescent exercise sheet on so unless he was too blind to be on the road it was just sheer ignorance!) Thank goodness she didn't react at all, just stopped and watched...phew!
Then we had cars from both directions at once so we stopped, waved the one in front past, and then the one from behind and again she was just brilliant, so pleased!

Off onto a bit of bridleway I hadn't taken her down before and I just unhitched the reins and longlined her...and she was an absolute star - foot perfect!! Walked, trotted and halted when asked went round a wiggly bend without too much steering difficulty..just fantastic!!

She had a bit of a wibbly in the corner approaching the farm (she'd had an issue here before) so I just asked her to stand, then asked for a reinback, a couple of steps forward and then I took the lead and led her past. Soon as we were round the corner I long reined her back up to the hay field...such a good girl, I was absolutely chuffed to bits!

Back on the yard and we had a real setback - she was walking towards a bus with it's engine running - first time she's dealt with this, so she was quite wary but I was just leading her calmly and letting her know it was OK...well the stupid Bliddy bus driver let the air brakes off when we were literally 10 feet away just about to walk past...poor B was scared witless and even I jumped! Cue panicky clattering and me getting jumped on...oh my lord the air was blue as I told the stupid man what I thought of him. They're normally brilliant but this guy didn't have a clue it seems.
So right back where we started traffic wise, I hope that a few sessions taking a step back and just letting her see them around the yard again will reassure her.
Back in the stable I gave Bally really good grooming and we did some stretches for treats to take her mind off the idiot bus, pleased to say she walked back down the yard completely calmly when I was taking her back to the field so I hope it hasn't affected her too much

So a few up and down days...let's hope for better!

5 comments:

  1. I expect she'll get over the bus - as long as it doesn't do something new next time! Long-lining in the halter is a great idea - I mostly do it that way myself - less risk of injury in the event of a meltdown. I'm just getting started with Dawn on long-lining - we're going to do a lot of word on ropes around the legs and giving to pressure from the ropes before we move on to the long-lining itself - we're likely to have some tangles ourselves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. larri, how do you hitch the lines up?

    and if that in the field was at the same spot each time, i'd be inclined to go and check that ditch, something might have died there...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I certainly hope so Kate, it was just such a disappointing end to a lovely session

    Hitching up - I'll try and take a pic Claire coz I think explaining it will be confusing!!, but I basically just gather them up so that they're like side reins (still through the roller rings) do a looped a knot in them at her back behind the roller, then loop the reins into lengths and tie end of the reins around the loops. Then I undo the velco middle put the ends through the top roller rings to secure them and voila!! In a hurry I just do the knot, loop and shove them under the gullet of her roller, but they won't stay there.

    PS about gates....we don't actually go through any but I would stop and lead through I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope next session's positives outweigh it's 'challenges' :) Especially the bus thing, that sounds enough to make my heart jump!

    ReplyDelete
  5. photo would be good, larri, thanks!

    ReplyDelete