Friday 1 January 2010

Taking Stock

Well what a rollercoaster year 2009 was - I started it with two horses - Safira and Merlin and ended it with two horses..Bailarina and Determinada, who'd have thought there could have been so much change?

Safi's blog the Long and Winding Road is on a private members forum, but some readers of that and this blog followed and supported me through the very darkest days...you know who you are and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for that x

So onwards and upwards from here I think .....well from rock bottom (as Yazz said the 80's)....The only way is UP!

Bailarina and Determinada continue to delight me on a daily basis, both so funny and full of character, but so fundamentally different!
Bally has always been the baby of the bunch in her life so far and I think she finds the job of being big sis to two yearling fillies a bit challenging sometimes...but oh Lordy does she rule the roost in the little clique which I've christened the Three Musketeers...Bonita and Dee certainly know who's boss in their little gang, but the cheeky pair delight in pushing their luck - I think they sense Bally's inexperience as herd leader. It's fascinating watching them all interacting. I could and frequently do spend ages watching and learning more about their individual characters!

We are all loving life at the new yard..well field! Much as running water and electricity would be nice I cannot complain at having the girls living out naturally in a stable herd.

The herd of 5 are all rubbing along nicely and I've seen them all pairing up separately, grooming each other etc. More often than not they are are in a loosely grouped little set all together keeping an eye and ear out for each other. They have so much space - I really am blessed with sensible yard owners who are adamant that they won't have more than six horses out in the 20 acre meadow.......most of them round here would have it sectioned off and put twenty + horses out on it :-(
Paul the new owner used to keep his youngsters here many moons ago and wants to keep it as it is...hurrah!!!!

I'm still "working" with the girls every day, mainly just at keeping their respect and good manners. This generally involves catching and leading them in (both fantastic considering the amount of land they have to run around in!), checking them all over, picking out feet (and practice rasping), rough brushing etc. Dee has head touching issues so I've made a point of working up to being able to touch her all over her head and ears stroking, scratching and rubbing her so she learns it's a wholly pleasurable experience :-)
I do the odd bit of mini in hand work with Bally just walking halting and reinback from body language so that when she comes into work proper again in March it's not too much of a shock. Once the snow and ice has gone I'll take her out for walks up the lanes and byways we have locally too...looking forward to that!

Today Superhubby and I rode our (new...New Years get fit malarky) bikes


on a 10 mile round trip across, round and over to the girls and took some pics & video of them in the smattering of snow we had today....enjoy!!! (we certainly did!!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU5C_m46jLk

2 comments:

  1. Glad you have the new girls in your life - I bet a lot of good stuff will happen in 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of life's simple pleasures is taking a cup of tea up to the paddock and just sitting watching the horses, even better if they don't know you're there. It's wonderful to see how they behave!

    I hope the coming year is much kinder to you than the one just gone :)

    And I admire you for cycling in winter. In some ways I'm glad my yard is now too far to cycle because I couldn't have coped with it in this weather!

    ReplyDelete