Tuesday 6 October 2009

So Bloody Angry!

Lovely blowy evening, B was quite on her toes when I brought her in...funny though, she's passaging up the path past the other horses on a loose lead but no attempts to shoot off - we like that kind of hoolying!

She was nice and calm in the stable though, had a brush of her muddy bits, then I kitted up ready for a long lining hack out. Although I had already got a fluorescent sheet for her and a jacket for me, I'd been out at the weekend and bought some Hi-Vis leg wraps, a neckband and a tail guard as well to make sure we were easily visible in the darker evenings if we are on the road...hahaha might as well have saved my money!

We walked out of the yard and on to the lane, B was nicely marching on in hand. We'd only been out a couple of minutes when I noticed a car approaching back along the lane, I watched to see if it was going to go into the yard, but no it continued so I walked B along to a bit of road where she could stand at the side to let it pass...now this car took a good minute to get close, so I'd seen it from ages away......unfortunately said car was being driven by some idiotic blind arse that shouldn't be allowed on the road..... I'd already halted B so I stood out to the side and waved my arm to slow the driver down...nothing...till she was almost on us ...and suddenly must have seen us, slammed her brakes on so hard they squealed and locked and the car started skidding towards us...what a complete and utter F***ing IDIOT !!!!
Poor B was terrified and clattered about in the road as I tried to calm her down. The girl got out of the car and her first words were "I didn't see you"
Words fail me...well actually they didn't, I went ballistic, absolutely mental yelling at her because I'd not only seen her all the way along the road, but done everything I could to keep us safe and her utter stupidity had almost caused a serious accident. Yup, despite being decked from top to toe in bright yellow fluorescent gear she didn't see us!!! I was running on adrenaline from the shock and I know I was really abusive but I make no apologies for it - she needed a bloody wake up call - what if I'd been a kid on a bike?? (which incidentally there was about 5 mins down the road!)

After she'd gone I just stood shaking as much as B was and chatted to her and stroked her to calm us both down. Of course Bally was on edge after this, but coped admirably with a couple of cyclists and a car coming towards her I just stopped her asked them to slow and gave her heaps of praise as she stood and watched them pass. She did however get panicky when another car approached from behind. This driver was kind enough to slow right down and creep past, but poor B was still far tenser than she had been :-(

I was glad to get off the lane and on to the bridleway, where I unhitched her lead and set up the long lines. I was a bit concerned she might be too flighty to cope with taking the lead, but no, it seemed to focus her and help her to settle right down.
Bailarina excelled herself and we long lined all the way home along the bendy path by the stream, not a flicker of interest in the scary bridge or that corner that she had issues with before, never once did she try and turn back.

All the way we went around the hay field where she had a little plant as we approached the path back to the yard, but it took barely any persuasion to get her walking forwards again...a million times better that the last couple of attempts!!

I actually got her to lead all the way back onto the yard and the entrance to the barn...BRILLIANT!!!!!

I met my YO as she was coming out from finishing her horses off and she asked if we'd had a spot of bother - apparently back on the yard they'd heard the screeching car...and my ranting!!! She said they'd fully expected to see B galloping back onto the yard on her own, but she was really impressed that not only had we carried on but had actually managed a really great session.

I gave Bally a really good scritchy scratchy groom and a couple of treats to stretch for before her tea. She walked back down the yard to her paddock like a lamb, so hopefully the good outweighed the bad in her mind.

I'll take her back over to the bridge over the dual carriageway where she can see and hear the traffic without it coming near her again the next few times we go out, hopefully that'll help to desensitise her again..poor baby!!

4 comments:

  1. Very scary! I don't know how people can't see what's in front of them. Very good that B calmed right down after and was able to go to work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done to the both of you, a great example of really making the best of a bad situation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. glad you got the opportunity to tell the person what you thought of her, that hadn't been clear from your facebook post! hope you know as many deep navy blue words as I do....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh she does I can assure you ;-)

    ReplyDelete