Thursday 22 October 2009

Pony progress and a wheee!

Finished work late tonight so didn't have much daylight left, but quickly grabbed Bally, my clicker bumbag and a teeny net of very nice haylege and headed off round to Bessie Horsebus. I don't think I mentioned that I'm bringing clicker back into the training equation...mainly to stop her being muggy about food - odd as it sounds there is definite method to that particular brand of madness lol!

Won't be able practise loading for a couple of days so going all out at it this week to take a teeny step further each time we try this (B willing of course)

Bally was in a jolly mood tonight, pretty much matched by my own - it's been a tough week at work and I was damn glad it was over! So we got to the box and I popped the net on the ground and undid the ramp next to her - again accompanied by a couple of snorts, but with no pressure on the line at all B stayed put and didn't even move a hoof backwards!

I popped on and tied the net up and B followed to the bottom of the ramp. She took a click for two feet on, then another for inching up, but then stopped. I let her think about it and after a minute or two and a look around outside she took the rest of the ramp in one go earning herself a jackpot!

Tied her up and I noticed she was far more settled - happy to move about but no quivering at all tonight, bit snorty and still obviously tense but loads happier for some reason...bizarre!

After a while chilling out whilst B snacked I popped off the box and shut the loading gates, had a wander round the box and then went to the ramp.

Well I got the ramp and lifted it and lowered it a couple of times up to about 7/8's shut..and apart from a bit of a snort at the squeaky springs we had no reaction - no tap dancing at all!

I won't actually shut it for the first time until Superhubby is manning the ramp and I'm onboard to monitor her, but that is the next step after a couple more sessions like tonight....I can't believe we're here already. But under no illusions she's ready to take to the road yet...we've got to start from scratch with the engine running. Bessie is booked in for new battery, MOT and full service in November so it gives us a couple of weeks of practise with the ramp first :-)

Anyhoo after hoiking the ramp up and down a few times I undid everything and backed B off the box, took her for a wander and brought her back to load again - exact repeat performance of first loading, but this time we just stood for a minute and I backed her off again...with masses of praise!!!!!

Still had a little light left so I thought we'd go for a nice wander around the yard, but as the school was free and there were some jumps left up in the manege from yesterday's clinic we popped in there for a play instead. We had a wander round and then I put them down to a couple of 18" x poles and with Bally on the longline just walked up to them...bless her she had a good sniff, looked at as if to say "what?" and popped over the first one neat as you like! :-)

So suitably in the mood we had a pootle round and popped them in both directions, singly and in the pair - B didn't put a hoof wrong...and more importantly didn't fizz up at all just approached every time completely calmly in walk - even when I had her loose! She'd canter a stride or two on landing but as I clicked to signal well done she walked back to me for her reward.

We then had a lovely loose trot around the school and lead on back up to the barn, both grinning ear to ear *YAY*

Groom, scratches and tea then I left in her in her box whilst I went to pooh pick in the extreme twilight (think I might have missed one or two lol!!) then off out she went to join Button - last two left out at night on the yard - what a shame, lovely mild night as well!!

All in all, great effort from the delectable Princess, Brilliant fun and much chuffedness going on!

2 comments:

  1. I've been enjoying your series of updates - all those baby steps will indeed take you far! Loved the description of the "bouncy moments" she had in the field when the other horses went by - I've seen that frustrated head shake before myself!

    ReplyDelete