Sunday 13 December 2009

Ch..Ch...Changes

Well I can finally update my blog and let the cat out of the bag :-)

There have been changes afoot in B's world, first of which has been a winding down of the work - we've had a couple of walks out and done some inhand work just to check we both still had the right idea, but today she officially started her winter holiday...oh and moved...and met my new horse :-o

The holiday is three months off to let her grow into herself, mentally I think she'd have been happy to keep working, but as the next thing to do is back her and she's still not quite there physically as that lovely peachy bum of hers is still considerably higher than her withers, so no pressure on that delicate back for a wee while yet!
My YO had offered me a space at her other farm - an 8 acre field where she keeps her old pair and the two currently broken hunters...but then changed her mind. B couldn't stay where she was as our paddocks are too small and not sheltered so I was on the look out.
Managed to hit the jackpot through a post on the Horse and Hound Forum and was introduced to a couple just taking over my favourite yard in the whole area......oh and they also had a an old meadow....a 20 acre old meadow full of trees and natural hedging, lots of ups and downs and a spring fed watering hole..a barn and stable on site for storage and emergencies and a seperate corral to feed your horse in.....my idea of horse heaven!!!! They were looking for a couple of other horses to add to the four already there.

So who's the new horse????????

Well I'm now also looking after a rather lovely little part bred yearling Luso filly Determinada :-)

Dee was bought by my friend and instructor Becky's Mum Steph when Becky brought her Luso boys Ambar and Violino as she felt so desperately sorry for her. She'd been born prematurely out of a purebred mare that the owners hadn't realised was in foal and had been in work until a loss of form prompted a vet visit and a very late pregnancy diagnosis. Dee was born very weak and twisted and not expected to survive... but against the odds she did and showed such a spark and love for life that her name just fitted her perfectly :-) A very special little girl!
She stayed in Portugal until she was deemed strong enough to cope with the journey and arrived in the UK a couple of months ago looking a little the worse for wear bless her.

As Steph got to know me and my love for young Luso girlies she asked if I'd like to take her on. I went, I saw, I fell in love with this super friendly sparky little lass - very elegant, but going through a little bit of a fugly phase...sweet!
I'm not really ready to take the plunge and buy another horse after Safi, but as Steph isn't really looking to sell her and wants only for her to have a great start with someone who likes playing with youngsters..especially girlie Luso ones it was agreed that she'd come and live with me and we'll see where we go in future :-)

So today was the big day, both girls and another yearling Bonita - owned by Claire the fab lady who introduced me to Paul & Rachel the new yard owners made the journey and arrived at Perry Field...........

Tomorrow I'll tell you all about it, I think we've had enough excitement for today lol!!!

4 comments:

  1. aha! letting the secret out!

    where's the pictures?

    sounds like she is going to be one feisty lady, surviving that start in life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, I'm so supersticious I wasn't going to post a damn thing until she was actually there in the field safe and sound.

    I have some piccies to post tomorrow and also a lovely little video clip of her in Portugal

    ...Sigh another one to fall in love with and break my heart

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh - very exciting - would love to hear more and see some pictures!

    ReplyDelete