Tuesday 9 August 2011

Onward bound

Well Bally is most definitely happy in her newly adjusted Wow and we have found forwards...actually compared with last year we have found the turbo boost button!

What a revelation, she's marching out nicely and although we technically aren't supposed to add trot for another week and half she offered when we were in the school and I let her take me up the long side...Blummin heck there is power there!!

Her rehab work is coming along well, now up to 30 minutes walking and although the majority of this is hacking, we are still perfecting leg yield (side to side on the lane) flexions -down, side to side shoulder in and counter shoulder in all to help straighten her right banana default mode.

When I took her into the school on Sunday she was super, really working nicely, taking the contact forward and allowing me to alter her frame long and back up without hollowing. She does still have a tendency to lift her head into halt, which is the next thing we'll tackle.
She had me in stitches though, came round the corner on the right rein and as we walked past the gateway she let rip with almighty whoopee buck then without breaking stride carried on walking - hurrah for velcro pants..well the great position the Wow puts me in anyway lol!

Last night she was in full on go, go, go mode and had to be reined in a bit. Marched off before I'd even got my stirrups and then went to trot off up the drive...Nope, too rude! So I turned her and put her back next to the mounting block and made her stand and do flexions for a minute or so, then off we went.
Apart from a blip as we got to the gate "um, no I can't possibly stand that close to it" with a bit of persuasion and a big treat she manoeuvered around it like an old pro and we had a super hack out down the home bridleway through the woods and back.

For all I wish that Bally had not had such an awful year injury wise doing the long in hand and ridden walk rehab work really has brought it home to me how important the basic foundation and gradual strengthening work are, not to mention the benefit of leaving horses to mature before asking serious work questions. The difference in her attitude and power this year is astonishing!
Next scan in two weeks, let's hope for a good one!

8 comments:

  1. and of course she's had time to digest all she learnt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why not come over and join http://hay-net.co.uk/ a brand new Equine Blogging Network. We would love to have your blog featured there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really agree with the facts that you have shared on this post. An interesting topic like this really enhances reader's mind to have more effective decisions over a certain issue.

    security equipment

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice blog and use full information for me thanks for sharing it. Good Job


    hotels in pachmarhi
    pachmarhi hotels
    best hotel in pachmarhi
    pachmarhi

    ReplyDelete
  5. www.redotech.com

    INDIA'S No.1 software development,mobile recharge software,portal development

    Redo Tech Pvt Ltd is a Best service professional Custom India based MLM

    ReplyDelete
  6. www.redotech.com

    INDIA'S No.1 software development,mobile recharge software,portal development

    Redo Tech Pvt Ltd is a Best service professional Custom India based MLM

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just killing some in between class time on Digg and I discovered your article . Not usually what I desire to read about, but it surely was absolutely value my time. Thanks. Breeches

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi are using WordPress for your site platform? I’m new to the blog world but I’m trying to get started and set up my own. Do you require any html coding expertise to make your own blog? Any help would be really appreciated!
    Breeches

    ReplyDelete