Saturday 29 May 2010

Back in Business....2...

Have had another fabby couple of days with Bally, she's settled right down in the new surroundings and was a superstar in the school on Thursday night. Had to share it again with a rather naughty horse who was giving his rider a bit of a tough time...I'd liked to have given her some pointers about how she was blocking him and maybe contributing to some of the problems she was experiencing but didn't know her from Adam ...felt a bit mean tbh, but was worried she might be offended if I marched up and said things - It's hard when you're the new girl

Any way we just went over our lunging and inhand work and B was attentive, soft and willing (although she still had a couple of cheeky yeehaa's). Where she'd been quite resistant in the close inhand work the time before, this time she was really trying and the steps just flowed
Giravolta then change the bend out to half pass onto the fence and change again to shoulder in along tjhe fence line (which has caused her some bother before)....she gave me everything I asked for, what a good girl. I was grinning like a cheshire cat :-D

Paul the YO had given me a bit of eye rolling before, because I'd asked if it was ok if I lunged / did inhand stuff in the big school rather than the lunge pen because I need the straight lines and freedom of the big school to school her properly...he was very "oh right you know how to lunge then" (he's actually a very highly qualified and experienced horseman) and I was a bit ...well actually...um...yes ;-)
Well he came over to the school whilst I was working B and saw her in action and gave us a nod and a wink, then asked when I was going to stop fannying around and just get on her

Answer my friends is very soon .....hope to have news on that front shortly

Last night we went and had a lovely long line hack. I tacked her up and led Bally out of the yard as we had to negotiate the path with the scary roller and harrow just lying in wait to eat her, the lunge pen and walk past the field with the mental gelding before we got to the bridleway. Mental gelding went yippeee-i-yay as we went past, so that was a good call to lead her first!!

Popped the longlines on and off we went...for a whole hour, for the first time in ages and down a path that B's only ever been on part of once...going the other way!! She was just brilliant, happily took the lead and was mindful of my steering requests, we did a fair few transitions and had a trot and she was happily powering along in my hand doing everything like an old pro!!
I was so pleased with her
One minor wibble as we approached some industrial units, so rather than let her get wound up I hitched the reins up and just took the lead to help her past the scary bit, no fuss or drama and a good lesson learnt... then put her back in front on the lines and on we walked up the lane and back onto the yard.

I was absolutely thrilled to bits with how brave and forwards and willing she was - superstar girly

It's nearly a year since Beautiful Bally came into my life and she's made fab progress at a pace that's suited both of us...hopefully I'll be able to back her soon and it's onwards and upwards from there.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to read about Little Dee but they are plucky little things, I hope she comes right to give a lot of joy to someone :)

    Great news about Bally, I gather there may be an update on that front?

    And where are the pics of RD?!

    ReplyDelete